5 Fun Winter Destinations in Europe for Young Couples
Are you globetrotters planning your next romantic winter trip? If so, here are 5 fun winter destinations you don’t want to miss this season.
1. Prague – Czech Republic
Visiting Prague in the winter is a fantastic idea. The Czech capital will warm your heart up, even when the temperature drops. Known as ‘The Golden City’ for its feature in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites, Prague is the charming getaway you and your significant other are looking for.
There are many reasons why you should visit this city, but here are our top three:
- Prague has a long-standing architectural heritage.
- This city is the cradle of Early Slavic culture, demonstrated by archaeological remains
- The Czech capital is eco-friendly and vegan/vegetarian-friendly
Getting to Prague
As a popular destination in Europe, Prague is relatively easy to reach. You can fly to Prague in just a few hours from any European airport. For example:
- Paris to Prague: 1h30m
- London to Prague: 1h49m
- Barcelona to Prague: 2h29m
- Amsterdam to Prague: 01h23m
Staying in Prague
There’s no shortage of accommodation in the Czech capital, as there’s always an option for everyone. As such, here are our top picks for a good stay, according to your budget:
- Luxury: Alchymist Grand Hotel And Spa. This 5-star hotel in the city centre has a central location and excellent amenities.
- Budget: Hotel Relax Inn. This affordable accommodation is close to public transport. From here, you can easily reach the city centre in less than 30 minutes.
- Good location/price ratio: Metropolitan Old Town – Czech Leading Hotels. This family hotel is next to the Old Town Square, and it is the home of hospitality.
What to do in Prague
The Christmas markets in Prague are a must-see if you are planning your trip for December. Moreover, we also recommend:
- A visit to the Old Town and the Jewish Quarter by solving riddles
- A walk on the Charles Bridge for some nice Instagram photos
- Discovering Prague Castle and the St. Vitus Cathedral
- Visiting the island of Kampa, which connects to the rest of the city by several bridges
2. Salzburg – Austria
Nature and culture are the building blocks of magical Salzburg. We cannot recommend this city more for a romantic winter trip. Apart from the splendid scenery, Salzburg has many picturesque corners that are predestined for beautiful moments together.
Getting to Salzburg
There are multiple options to get here. You can choose to land in Vienna or Munich and travel to the city by train. In addition, it is possible to land directly at Salzburg airport.
Staying in Salzburg
The Old Town is the dream location to enjoy Salzburg to the fullest. Here are some of our recommendations for a nice stay.
- Luxury: Radisson Blu Hotel Altstadt. This boutique hotel is on the banks of the Salzach.
- Budget: Dorint City-Hotel Salzburg. It’a few minutes from Getreidegasse, Mirabell Gardens, Old Town.
What to do in Salzburg
- Visit the Hohensalzburg Fortress: This is the city’s symbol for excellence. As a bonus, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the entire city.
- Getreidegasse in the Old Town: This is a shopping street that will take you on a journey through time. See it in the private tour around Salzburg.
- Mozart’s birthplace: Experience Mozart’s life with his furniture, instruments, and paintings.
- The Mirabell Castle: Visit its gardens, which are in the baroque style.
- St. Peter’s Abbey: This is one of the oldest Benedictine monasteries in Austria.
3. Amsterdam – the Netherlands
Every winter, Amsterdam lights up the eyes of its visitors. During the cold months, you can go ice skating and experience the annual Amsterdam Light Festival. Immerse yourself in the lights of the canals and streets.
Getting to Amsterdam
Schiphol, Amsterdam’s airport, is a hub for many large and budget airlines. As such, it usually doesn’t take long to get to the Dutch capital from other European cities. For example:
- Lisbon – Amsterdam: 3h
- London – Amsterdam: 1h
- Dublin – Amsterdam: 1h30
Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam has its hospitality game on point. With that in mind, there are many hotel options for you to choose from, with different themes and price points.
- Urban: Hotel Mai Amsterdam is the ideal solution for a stay in the heart of Amsterdam.
- Leisurely: Xo Hotels Couture is only a few steps from the international fashion centre in Amsterdam.
- Eco-friendly: Conscious Hotel Museum Square has a beautiful garden where you can relax.
What to do in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is full of all kinds of fun and iconic activities! You’ll never be bored in the Dutch capital. Here is a few possible activities to choose from:
- Visit one of the many markets in the city
- Discover a museum like the Rijksmuseum
- Enjoy a sustainable activity to explore the city like a bike ride
- Be immersed in the world of beer by visiting the Heineken Experience
4. Helsinki – Finland
Finland’s capital city combines authenticity and modernity. With hundreds of parks, it is the perfect place to enjoy a nice and quiet walk around nature. But if you think that’s boring, think again. Helsinki is also a fun destination to have a good time with your partner.
Getting to Helsinki
Helsinki is another popular destination for tourists, so there are many options to get here. We’ll spare you the details; head over to Flightgift.com to see what’s available for you!
Where to stay in Helsinki
Here are some of our hot takes for the best hotels in town while you’re visiting Finland’s capital:
- Including a pool: Come to the Hilton Helsinki Strand to enjoy the indoor pool and relax in the sauna.
- With a modern design: Visit the Radisson Blu Aleksanteri Hotel, located in downtown Helsinki.
- Far from the hustle and bustle of the city: Korpilampi is an all-suite hotel with a golf course and beach just 600 feet away.
What to do in Helsinki
While Helsinki is not known for wild parties, it’s definitely a gem for art lovers and nature enthusiasts. Check out some of the activities you can do while you’re there:
- Take a private tour of Helsinki and Suomenlinna Fortress
- Discover street art in the Pasila district
- Meet the reindeer in Nuuksio National Park
- Visit the open-air museum Seurasaari
5. Venice – Italy
Venice is relatively warmer than the cities mentioned, so it will be a pleasant place to visit in the winter. With romantic canals, gondolas and timeless architecture, Venice is an incredibly beautiful city for love birds.
Getting to Venice
The fastest and most inexpensive way to get there is by plane, as you can find cheap flights from London, Barcelona or Berlin. Alternatively, you can choose to land at Venice Treviso or Marco Polo airport, depending on your travel itinerary.
Where to stay in Venice
If you don’t already know, here’s a heads-up: Venice is filled with gorgeous hotels. Here are just some of them:
- Luxury: Nani Mocenigo Palace, embedding true Italian-style grandeur in its walls.
- Great view: Splendid Venice – Starhotels Collezione, located directly on the waters of the famous lagoon city to reach the hotel by gondola.
- Good location: Ateneo, located in the heart of the city and close to all the tourist attractions.
Things to do in Venice
Have a Venetian weekend with our activity tips for The City of Canals.
- Experience old-school romance on the waters of Venice by going on a gondola tour
- Visit the Golden Basilica with a skip-the-line access
- Discover the Doge’s Palace
- Head to Murano for the glass blowers
- Make your own Italian ice cream
Make this winter memorable. Create new experiences in Europe’s hottest destinations for the season. We hope this list will become a helpful guide for your travels, and check out more hotels and flights on our website.